Pd in ALSA?

Karl W. MacMillan karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
Mon Jun 19 19:57:09 CEST 2000

Miller,

If you are using a current ALSA release things are pretty well broken.  I
gave up trying to track the changes until things settle down with the ALSA
development (which will probably be anonther month at least).  I had
another imporoved version that did mmap mode and some other things but
almost as soon as I got it working things became 'interesting' with the
ALSA releases.  To their credit, though, the ALSA developers are making
some good changes it seems.  The last ALSA I know it works with is 0.5.6 -
if this doesn't work let me know.

Karl

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Miller Puckette wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> is anyone managing to run Pd using the ALSA audio system?  Finally (after
> 2 years of trying) I got ALSA running on my machine in order to test the
> "pd -alsa" flag for myself.  Surprise: it fails ("audio stuck").  I'm using
> Karl's ALSA code as seen in the current Pd release.
>
> I've discovered that it's at least possible to run Pd with ALSA emulating
> OSS.  You either have to suppress ADC, or else throw Pd a "-frags" flag
> which it complains about but then works anyway.
>
> Any ideas are welcome...  I really hope in the future I can actually test
> Pd releases with both ALSA and OSS before releasing them!
>
> cheers
> Miller

| Karl W. MacMillan                                 |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| Network and Telecommunications Services           |
| karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu                           |
| 410/659-8297                                      |