nVIDIA woes

Jason Freeman jason_freeman34 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 20 01:06:32 CEST 2000

Thanks for the advice, Mark.

After quite a bit of tweaking, I've managed to get everything down to fairly
minimal RAM and CPU usage. But there's a couple of lingering weirdnesses,
which I'll describe below. Again, if you or anyone else has any advice, I'd
really appreciate it:

1) My GEM patch runs in a loop of sorts, and I've noticed that beginning
with the second iteration of the loop, XFree86 takes about a 15-20 MB larger
RAM partition than it did at the same point during the first iteration.

I assume that it's caching/buffering some things automatically? I've already
done my best to try to purge images loaded with the "pix_image" object when
they're not needed (it seems that sending a bogus "open" message to
pix_image makes it clear out its current image). Is there some way to limit
the amount/size of caching that's being done, or to reset/free this extra
RAM? Or is there something else that could be causing this? (I don't think
it's a memory leak, because it doesn't continue increasing in subsequent
iterations.)

2) About 1 in 10 times, when I texture map an image to a square and display
it on the screen, a "ghost" of the top of the image appears at the bottom of
the image as well. If I turn off rendering and then turn it back on again,
the ghost usually disappears. I've noticed that this only happens when my
original image is 256x256 pixels or larger, but it happens with both TIFF
and JPEG formats. The only other items in these Gemlists are simple color
changes, alpha objects, and translate objects. The size of the object I'm
texture mapping onto doesn't seem to matter.

Again, thanks for any help!
--Jason