building a mouse trap

Miller Puckette mpuckett at man104-1.ucsd.edu
Mon Oct 2 03:21:20 CEST 2000

David Z has done something good along these lines: he's fixed it on the Mac so
that if your mouse cursor hits the top of the screen it just jumps down so you
can keep dragging it up!

Others have invented rules like dx * (1 + dy * dy) (so that the further off
center you drag the faster it goes) but it's counterintuitive for users.

I don't know how to pull David's trick off in TK; but I think it's easy
enough for externs to track the mouse by imitating the way the number
box does it.

On another topic, I've noticed that at least 5 people are interested in using
Pd with alternative front ends...  I'm working now on command-line options
to make this easier; I hope to put a "test" version (Linux only) out within a
week.  Oh yes, new "data" stuff too...

cheers
Miller