setsockopt failed problem

Martin Dupras martin.dupras at uwe.ac.uk
Wed Mar 14 14:45:23 CET 2001

I am using netreceive within a PD patch (0 pd 0.32, Irix 6.5). It works
perfectly, most of the time.

Here's the snag: when it doesn't work, it really doesn't work at all. I
was using TCP (port 3001) for a while, and then after a while, without
warning it stopped working. Couldn't connect to port 3001 any longer at
all. Rebooted, and it didn't solve the problem.

After much experimenting I found that I could get it to work again if
using UDP. That worked most of the time. I had my patch running for
about an hour this morning and then *poof* connection drops, not
receiving anything on 3001. Close the patch, re-open: same thing.
Reboot: still nothing.

Can anyone please tell me if they have encountered something similar,
and if there are any particular pitfalls that I should look out for.

Also, does anyone know how I can somehow guarantee that a certain port
is always available for PD?

Any help appreciated!

- martin