using gem+linux for gigs (was Re: Gem segfault)

pix at test.at pix at test.at
Thu Mar 29 18:41:12 CEST 2001

I'm really interested in the 'remote gui' option rather than the
netsend/receive option, as it doesnt really require any functional changes
to existing patches. but at the moment im not in a oaition to test it,
only having the one pc. but real soon now i'll be getting a laptop
(curently in the 10-14 business days tease-zone), so i'll probably give it
a whirl then.

another thing i hadn't thought about until today was looking into the
possibility of using multiple gfx cards under x4. it might not be
possible, but if it were possible to do multi-head using two different
kinds of cards (i know its possible with expensive cards that support
multihead) than you could just have the gem window appearing on whichever
one has video out. maybe i'm ascribing mythical superpowers to x4 here :)

also, a friend forwarded me some mailing list exceprts about huge
latencies using usb-audio solutions on laptops under windows (using
audiomulch). has anyone on this list played with usb-audio (especially
under linux), and what kind of latencies have they got? i'm hoping the
latency isnt inherent in usbaudio, but i wouldnt be surprised if it was...

(then again, my current patch has so much inherent latency, that this
wouldnt really be a problem for me anyhow, but i'm just curious).