using gem+linux for gigs (was Re: Gem segfault)

Greg Rippin gmr222 at nyu.edu
Sat Mar 31 08:55:42 CEST 2001

In my understanding, most of the usb audio problems come from the fact that usb is, by
default, asynchronous.  Latency becomes a huge issue, then, since there's no way to
ensure data is getting to its destination on time, especially if there are other devices
sharing the buss.  USB does, however, have an isosynchronous mode, which is, I think,
used with the "audio class" devices you mentioned.  This mode is designed to solve major
latency issues, but has not been used by many manufacturers and is, therefore, very
expensive.  That's my two cents.

Tschuss,
Greg