[PD] boot sector nightmare scenario

richard.bowers richard.bowers at ntlworld.com
Tue May 22 22:37:09 CEST 2001

Thanks for your advice, Miller. Please let me apologise if I suggested it
was PD that caused the problem...I think I was mistaken - it may be
something to do with Logic Audio which was the sequencer I'm using. I'm
wracking my brains to remember the circumstances under which a similar -
though rebootable - blackout occured before, and I'm fairly sure it was to
do with Logic.

I haven't been using PD that long. I must say it's a delicious piece of
software. I'm kind of finding my feet with it at the moment by
mixing-and-matching your documentation with bits of Max/MSP and working with
MIDI. I'm having to shift my mindset from the CSound paradigm, which I've
become very familiar with.

Thanks,

Richard.

| Hi Richard,
|
| Well, this is bad, I think you have to quickly get your machine in the
hands
| of someone who knows how to re-install Windows95 on notebooks...  perhaps
| local computer repair person.  In my experience when Windows stops booting
| there's usually no way to figure out what caused the problem.
|
| It might be a good idea to try to back whatever precious files you have on
c:
| onto floppies.  The D: drive (assuming you have one as your letter
implies)
| should be accessible though; I don't know why it wouldn't be...
|
| bon courage
| Miller
|
| On Tue, May 22, 2001 at 01:21:00PM +0100, richard.bowers wrote:
| > I'm desparate...Can anyone help?
| >
| > Here's the scenario:
| >
| > I'm running pd on my i486 (Win 95) sending MIDI data to my Pentium (Win
98)
| > over MIDI cables to a sequencer.
| >
| > After using I shut down the sequencer before shutting down pd.
| >
| > The 486 rebooted and stopped with the error message:
| >
| > DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
| >
| > I've done this and I can change to the c: drive and list the files.
| >
| > My d: drive is anavailable through the prompt (although it is present in
the
| > bios settings and was
| > successfully autodetected).
| >
| > Fdisk gives the following under 'change current fixed disk drive':
| >
| > Disk / Drive / Mb / Free / Usage
| > 1 / [nothing] / 163 / 163 / [nothing]%
| > 2 / [nothing] / 204 / [nothing] / 100%
| > [nothing] / C: / 204 / [nothing] / [nothing]
| >
| > Display partition information for disk 1 reads:
| >
| > No partitions defined
| >
| > The same for 2 reads:
| >
| > Partition: c: 1 / Status A / Type: PRI DOS / Vol label: MS-DOS_6 / Mb:
204 /