[PD] gem - video out solutions

CK x at meta.lo-res.org
Tue Jun 5 17:57:20 CEST 2001

I read:
> maybe there are some people on the list with some
> experience about it.

though I'm not one of them I know for sure that there are :)

> tim boykets approach i guess was using a video machine (nogui)
> for gem and another machine for the gui to controll it.

I don't remember if it was him, but someone mentioned taking a laptop
for the audio and just a good 3d card fir gem and rely on the venue to
provide a reasonably fast machine.

> has anybody tried it with two graphikcards, to use one screen for
> the gui and the other for the videooutput ?

I tried two gfx cards but not with gem, but that shouldn't be a problem
if you use the right cards XFree4 can do it, NT is said to do it but
I personally don't use m$ products

> would it be possible in this case to run the screens on different
> resolutions, because in case i want to run gem only in 640*480, because i
> want to convert it to composit video afterwards anyway ?

definitely yes

> what about cards with an additional analog videoout, can i put a different
> screen on the analog video out or is it just the same image then on my
> screen, or could i / do i have to use an additional analog video out
> card in this case ?

depends, these cards are commonly called dual headed, most modern laptops
come with this type though I haven't seen this working under linux yet,
works on windows though.

> are there any additional possibilities ?

since mark danks mentioned the ps2 I can't get the idea out of my head having
a decent subnotebook and a ps1 in my rucksack and use the ps with linux as
the gem machine ;)

cheers

chris at lo-res.org	Postmodernism is german romanticism with better
http://pilot.fm/	special effects. (Jeff Keuss / via ctheory.com)