[PD] GrIPD: A new front-end GUI builder for PD

Joseph A. Sarlo jsarlo at mambo.peabody.jhu.edu
Fri Jul 13 01:00:45 CEST 2001

> Its GUI componet works and looks great!!!
> but i got an error in both Pd-0.31 and Pd-0.32.
>
> GrIPD: Bind Error: No error
> GrIPD: Attempting to re-bind
>
> when i try to connect GrIPD.

It sounds like somehow you're attempting to connect twice and the socket
is already bound.  I just noticed that this is really easy to do, just
send "connect" twice, or send "connect" then "open".  I'll have to fix
this so you can't (that's what v0.0.1 is all about I guess).  So if you're
doing that, then that's the problem. The usage directions might be a
little confusing: "connect" message is only used if you're going to open
the GrIPD GUI separately (like on a different machine).  If you're using
everything local, you don't need to send "connect" at all, just "open
<optional filename>".

> Also,
> Does gripd object always need to receive set_path and
> set_python_path messages in every patch?

If you have all the GrIPD python stuff (*.py files) in "c:\pd\gripd\" then
you don't need to use "set_path", similarly, if you have python installed
to "c:\program files\python\" then you don't need "set_python_path".
This is only so the GrIPD PD object can find stuff when you use "open".
You could always launch gripd.py separately, but I'd recommend wrapping
gripd and the set messages in a PD file with a little loadbang magic.

Let me know if this helps or not, I'm really want to iron out the kinks.

--