[PD] Where can I download Gem for Linux ( not a debian distribution)

Karl MacMillan karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
Tue Jul 17 17:09:24 CEST 2001

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Rory Walsh hat gesagt: // Rory Walsh wrote:
>
> > I am running gem on windows with this
> > machine(pentium II 32mb ram) and it is very slow, I am
> > not even getting proper color although I suspect this
> > has to do with my graphics card, I'm not sure what it
> > is, it's just a standard one that came with the
> > computer. I also run redhat on the same machine, but
> > if the problem of performance is to do with a useless
> > graphics card is there any point in trying to compile
> > it for linux? Will the poor graphics card hinder the
> > performance there also?
>
> You really should get a card that has hardware support for OpenGL rendering
> otherwise things might run very slow. If you want hardware support for
> linux, too, you will have to get an Nvidia card or a Matrox G4xx (which I
> would prefer in an audio machine)

Why do you prefer the G4xx card in an audio machine?  I have a G450 that
happily causes all fo the problems with audio that an impolite video card
can :(

Karl

> bye,
> --
>                                                  __    __
>  Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______

| Karl W. MacMillan                                 |
| Computer Music Department                         |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu                           |
| mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac                    |