[PD] gem + matrox

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Tue Jul 17 21:22:23 CEST 2001

Johannes M Zmoelnig hat gesagt: // Johannes M Zmoelnig wrote:

> obviously, some of you are using the matrox-g4xx quite successfully.
> does anybody of you have made comparisions between nvidia-geforce and
> matrox-g4xx ?
> i tried both, and when i got splendid hw-acceleration geforce256 and
> geforce2, the performance is "quite" poor with the g450.
> "poor" meaning that it just costs half of my cpu to render, say, 50
> moving geos (whereas with the geforce it is "nothing")

GeForce cards are at least one generation ahead of the matrox 4xx cards
in 3D features and speed. Only ATI's Radeon and maybe cards with
that Kyro chipset, forgot the name, come close, but Radeons have no linux
support yet.

Matrox G4xx are on par with nVidias older TNT chipsets. As I do really like
open source software, I prefer open source drivers like one can
get for Matrox cards, and one can not get for GeForce cards.

This sometimes remebers me of the bad old days, when there was no ALSA and
when you had to buy commercial drivers to get the most out of your
soundcard...

bye,
--
                                                 __    __