[PD] mac ?explain?

Karl MacMillan karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
Fri Jul 27 05:46:39 CEST 2001

XonX is now part of the main XFree86 distribution (www.xfree86.org). What
is there is full screen (i.e. it completely covers the native gui, but you
can switch back and forth easily). The 'rootless' X server (that allows
you to display X applications along side native ones) is alpha and doesn't
really work reliably.  It should happen soon though.

Karl

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Christian Klippel wrote:

> hi all,
>
> though im not informed about the status, i just wanted to inform you
> that there is an XonX available for mac os x that allows execution of
> x-windows programs under max-os, while the carbon-based gui is running.
> if interrested, i will search out the links.
> with this it should be possible to use a x-based application on max os x.
> and even more, if im right informed, tk is already ported to darwin ....
>
> greets,
>
> chris
>
> Am Donnerstag, 26. Juli 2001 19:42 schrieb Miller Puckette:
> > There's a prosaic reason to want to port to Mac: sometimes you walk into a
> > studio or concert hall and find only a Mac there.  If you're a Pd user,
> > you'd want to just run your music on the Mac...
> >
> > I've already started on a port, using PortAudio; I don't know about
> > CoreAudio/CoreMidi.  But I think it's pointless until TK comes along for
> > OSX, and we can't predict when that will become available, although I
> > don't think more than a few months from now.
> >
> > cheers
> > Miller
> >
> > On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 11:03:45AM -0400, John Lawter wrote:
> > > Well, speaking only for myself: I am working on a port simply for my own
> > > amusement, and to learn CoreAudio.  Pd also provides a neat framework to
> > > develop ideas of my own.
> > >
> > > Irony would be back-porting it to run on a Cube with the IRCAM DSP board
> > > under Nextstep 3.0.
>
> --
> visit me at http://mamalala.de

Karl W. MacMillan
Computer Music Department
Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University
karlmac at peabody.jhu.edu
mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac