self-modifying abstractions

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Tue Sep 25 13:50:46 CEST 2001

pix wrote:

> wow, i just found myself asking almost the same question earlier this
> year, on this list *slap*.
>
> okay, so miller writes:
> > If you name a subpatch "fred" for instance, you can send messages to
> > "pd-fred". I've used it to add text comments to windows automatically,
> > but in principle you should be able to do anything that appears in a
> saved
> > Pd file (adding and connecting objects).
>
> the problem here is that if you have two abstractions called fred, the
> actions appear to happen to both of them (i've just been playing with the
> selectall at the moment), which makes it a little less useful than i had
> first imagined.
>
> is this something that can be avoided?

hi !

the most simple thing would be:
using "namecanvas $0-fred" somewhere in the abstraction
and then talking to (modifying) an object $0-fred, as you are used to to
this.
i always do it this way, so i can be (quite) sure, that i am modifying
only the current patch.

again:: no matter, what pd says, "namecanvas" is not obsolete !!!

(i think, this might is the answer i gave you "earlier this year")

mfg.cs.asdt
IOhannes