[PD] writing scores[!] in pd?

Michal Seta mis at music.mcgill.ca
Tue Sep 25 18:50:22 CEST 2001

On 9/24/01 10:14 AM, "Rory Walsh" <rorytheroar at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks Micheal, what i'm trying to do is to generate a
> standard notational score from a a number of points on
> an x,y plain, so i thought I might just be able to
> take the numbers and write them to a midi file?

I see.

> guess I can just hook my number boxes to makenote with
> a midi out and then send the midi data out of 1
> computer and into a sequencer in another computer
> which can then record the score? Any other
> suggestions?

You could try (I haven't yet tried that but soon the time will come) use
alsa's virtual MIDI device (providing you use alsa, of course) to route your
MIDI messages to your favourite sequencer on the same machine.  The problem
is that both programs need to be alsa aware and need to give you a
possibility of selecting MIDI ports...

Or get KeyKit if you insist in working in MIDI domain :)

Otherwise, if all you want is to generate standard notation scores check
your notation software file format and see if it supports text (perhaps a
secondary format, like some sort of portable file format).  Then you can
render your PD manipulations to a text file and import that into the file
containing textual score description....

I know a guy who was doing this kind of thing with Common Music and Finale
files(!) (the portable finale format, I believe)

Probably not much help but...

./MiS