[PD] writing scores[!] in pd?

vanDongen/Gilcher gml at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 26 15:51:44 CEST 2001

>I have
>tried Finale and it seems to have a lot more, perhaps
>you know of a simple notational package which doesn't
>follow the rules of music and lets you put whatever
>you like into whatever bar you want, something that
>gives you total freedom? Thanks for the help!
>
>regards,
>Rory.

Or you could try Lime, (windows and mac, www.cerlsoundgroup.com). It can
do some things that Sibilius and Finale cannot do (like different tempi
for different instruments, barlines can be put anywhere, instead of
across the entire system) but can also be a little cumbersome to use. You
have to know how you want your score to look before starting, is my
experience.
It still checks for notational rules, so you still have to deal with what
the designers of the program thought the scope of those rules should be.
A big plus is that the parts and the score are intergrated so any editing
in one is reflected in the other.

There is AFAIK no good notation program for linux. Unless you want to go
the La Tex way. But check out Dave Phillips' site for Linux software:
http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/

regards

Gerard