[PD] writing scores[!] in pd?

Michal Seta mis at music.mcgill.ca
Thu Sep 27 15:28:02 CEST 2001

On 9/26/01 4:56 AM, "Rory Walsh" <rorytheroar at yahoo.com> wrote:

> [snip] perhaps
> you know of a simple notational package which doesn't
> follow the rules of music and lets you put whatever
> you like into whatever bar you want, something that
> gives you total freedom? Thanks for the help!

for that kind of thing I used once NoteWriter, on a Mac, though and I don't
know if it's still supported but you can probably still buy it somewhere...
it's shareware.  But it's not MIDI aware at all, it's like a graphics
program for writing scores.  It allows you to draw stuff as well as
importing bitmaps (if I recall well).
Finale is a pain to use in that way...
I had a very quick look at Lime so I don't know.
Igor Engraver is useless right now in this respect.  However they promise a
lot of interesting features for a contemporary composer for the version 2.
So it's definitely worth looking into.
I've used Igor for a couple of conventional scores and I can recommend it.

For the immediate future, there's no solution, I guess...  Depending how
graphic your score is supposed to be.  You could probably hack something
with the data part of PD (has been crashing lately on my system) and
generate graphics from your processes, which then you can save as PS
graphics which then you can import into most notational packages (or turn
them into some sort of music fonts, hehe).

Then there's LaTex, and then it'd be possible to hack a way of generating
LaTex code from PD.

Hope it's not something you need to do for next week....

./MiS