[PD] Pop-up window

Krzysztof Czaja czaja at chopin.edu.pl
Mon Oct 22 15:43:01 CEST 2001

hi,

if we are talking about appearance attributes or some auxiliary
parameters (like slider ranges), then there is no disagreement.

But I have some doubts about setting/changing object's behaviour
from within properties dialog.

1. If the changes are immediately reflected in an object box text,
then there is nothing radical in it, in fact, there is little
difference between such a generic dialog and generic `info' message
printing object's usage info to the terminal window (my proposal
from some time ago).

2. If, on the other hand, the argument values I see in an object box
are different from those that are in effect because of changing them
in some dialog window (and those that I will see after reloading of
the patch), then it is going to be a mess I am likely to be completely
lost in.  Having a floating `inspector' window instead of pop-up
properties dialogs would help a little, but not much.

3. There is a possible change of focus.  The purity in Pd promotes
`distributed' way of doing things.  Simple objects usually require
a simple and small set of arguments.  I suspect, that the main
reason why we need this `argument template dialog', is that we need
to pack (too?) many features into one external.

But experiences vary, the 1-3 are only my doubts, I have no strong
and clear opinion on that matter.

Krzysztof