[PD] stuff

oliver stotz oliver at klingt.org
Fri Jan 18 12:18:46 CET 2002

jmmmpl at netcabo.pt wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I had several questions to put:
> - which is more expensive to the cpu to connect the main patch to a
> subpatch, the send/receive pair or a the cable/inlet?
> - related to the first, is there any place where is mentioned the expense of
> each object, and a comparation between objects?
> - one thing I noted (in windows), only the horizontal position of the
> objects interferes in their order of processing (from l to r). Does in linux
> the vertical position counts as well? (like in max)

the processing-order of one pd-objects  that is connected to more than one other object, doesn't work like in max. it's "last come ,first served". so the patch-cord you connected last
will be the first to operate. so , for being absolutely sure about the working order, you have to deal a lot more with "triggers". if it worked in a "left-to-right"-sense for you, i
assume it was good luck...

> - one command that I couldn't find (that exists in max) is the counter. Then
> I made one of my own, which I include here (although a bit basic, I think it
> works). I hope it might be useful for someone.

there's one in the GEM-library, although, if this is the only use you'd make out of it, it's not worth including the whole library.
for most of my purposes, building a rudimental counter myself, is easier.

also you might check out "for++"-object, which is a timing-counter, like a combination of max's "metro" and "counter". you can also use it like max's "uzi". you can find it within the
"zexy"-library (a very useful one, btw...)

just take a look at www.pure-data.org. i heard it will be updated soon...