Spectral envelope drawing [was: [PD] graph on parent]

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Wed Jan 30 23:01:21 CET 2002

hi all,

Miller Puckette hat gesagt: // Miller Puckette wrote:

> I agree.  Spectral envelope drawing, anyone?

Yes, I'm playing with this. And while this is brought up, I have a probably
simple question, which does bother me anyway:

Say I want to make an additive synthesis instrument, that generates
its sound by an rifft~ object. This object should receive information
about the magnitude of certain frequencies. This should be done with a
(drawable) array, where the x axis is frequency and y is magnitude. The
array gets read by a tabreceive~ and has a size = window blocksize. Now:
How do I have to preprocess this xy-axis data to let rifft~ generate the
matching sound composed of the input frequencies.

Any hints?

[I have some understanding of the FFT, but for this problem I just don't
get a solution. Call me stupid.]

Ciao,
--
                                                 __    __