[PD] line~ segments

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Sun Mar 3 20:21:31 CET 2002

Hi Rodrigo,

Rodrigo F. Cadiz hat gesagt: // Rodrigo F. Cadiz wrote:

> I am trying to test your segtest patch of lineseg~. Once I load the
> numbers (either with the middle or right message boxes) and press bang
> I am only getting the print statements out (the numbers seems ok)
> but nothing from the line~ itself comes out. Looking into lineseg~ I
> wonder if you can just connect the output of a textfile to the inlet
> of a line~ object. I don't understand why this should work. If this is
> supposed to work why a sequence of number pairs, delimited with commas
> shouldn't?

I don't know why the simple approach doesn't work, it probably has to do
with the difference between lists of messages and a list of a float and a
list or whatever... ;)

What the textfile does, when it is, ahem, bang'ed, is output several
messages each after another. One has to make sure, that the textfile
only contains messages, that are suited for a line~ object. In my
lineseg~ object a second rule is needed: one is not allowed to send
just one float, like you can send to a line~, but instead specify a
ramp duration of 0, which gives the same result as one simgle float to a
line~. The posted version of segtest.pd has an [add 0( message, that does
*not* work as expected. You can delete that.

> So, I am not seeing anything on the db display or on the lineout array. I also

Hhm, it did work here for sure, although I did work on it a bit more by
now.

But maybe the reason, you don't see anything, is simply because dsp
computation isn't switched on, or is it? It's easy to forget...

To make sure, I attached the new a little cleaned up lineseg~, but the
older one should really work, too.

Ciao,
--
                                                 __    __