[PD] Dynamic Loading abstractions, pgmout

Ben Bogart - FMPM/F1999 bbogart at acs.ryerson.ca
Sun Mar 3 23:56:48 CET 2002

I've been working with some very modular projects and it would be nice if
one could dynamically load an abstraction. (I might have one generated
from a tcl script for example) perhaps the kind of code that would allow
a list of patches would allow dynamic loading?

Right now I have patches called "root" which have the interface for
general purpose and I use multiple abstractions which are all compatible
with the general interface.

For example you could have an abstraction which contains a gem object
chain. If you wanted you could have multiple objects loaded dynamically
as different instances of the same object (but with different parameters)

Any chance for this kind of thing in the future?

Thanks
Ben

On Sun, 3 Mar 2002, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hi,
> David Sabine hat gesagt: // David Sabine wrote:
>
> > Secondly,  my name is Dave and it's real nice to make your acquaintance!
>
> Welcome aboard, Dave.
>
> > Third: MY QUESTION:
> >
> > In Max, with support from OMS, there are objects available which list MIDI
> > programs/patch names.  In this way, "pgmout" objects can be wired to
> > dropdown menus which display MIDI instrument lists (128 General MIDI
> > instruments for example).
> >
> > Is there such an object in PD (or Motex, Gem, or other libraries) which
> > provides this functionality?
> >
> > I'm using Windows XP.  So i understand that the "MIDI management" provided
> > by the OS will be vastly different in Linux, and different again in Unix,
> > etc.  HOWEVER, I'd really like to know if anybody has written an external
> > for use in the Windows system to create lists,arrays,or dropdown menus which
> > display all available MIDI programs/patches (General MIDI or otherwise).
>
> I don't know of any PD object that works like a dropdown menu, but if you find
> one, I'd like to hear of it as well. What seems to come closest GUI-wise might
> be the "playlist" by Yves, available at http://ydegoyon.free.fr, but it would
> require some hacking to get it to work as a programm selector (making playlist
> more general would be nice anyways) and I don't know if "joge ." windowsified
> ;) it already otherwise it's linux only.
>
> Second I'm not sure how one can automatically read the Midi-Progam names, if
> they are not GM or GS or XG or some other standard. Is this possible at all?
> I'm not that familiar with midi, but I always thought than GM et al. are just
> a convention and are not communicated by the hardware itself.
>
> But I may be wrong.
>
> Ciao,
> --
>                                                  __    __