[PD] 808 style drum machine patch

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Tue Mar 5 01:40:33 CET 2002

hi,
nullpointer hat gesagt: // nullpointer wrote:

> I have just put online a little 808 style drum machine patch(es).
> Nothing really fancy. Uses a table array to hold the sequence data.
> You can have up to 10 sample instruments and up to 200 bars of 16 steps
> each.
> You can do simple copy n paste of patterns and the interface is toggle based
> like the original 808.(although you can add extend the data if you like)
> It uses a simple sample player patch that you can re-use pretty easiliy too
> (creation argument sample table e.t.c.)
>
> Anyway let me know what you think.

Nice work, instant fun ;)

I have a tip for the sequencetable patch: You can save the "seq" array to a
file with a message "; seq write filename.txt". That way one would not have
to save the whole window/patch, just the numbers. Read it in with "; seq
read filename.txt". The ";" is important!

Even nicer would be this openpanel idiom, often used in PD:

 SAVE
[bang( -> [openpanel] -> [; seq write $1(

 LOAD
[bang( -> [openpanel] -> [; seq read  $1(

Also one could make the tempo box count in BPM, you might use my bpm2ticks
utility patch: Send it a BPM to the left inlet, and you get a metro
interval at the right outlet. It also computes a more granular tick
duration, in case you need a second metro for even finder resolution or if
you want to feed the nice "metroplus" object for that certain shwing ;)

bye,
--
                                                 __    __
 Frank Barknecht       ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______