[PD] networked multi-channel PD cluster

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Mar 6 06:15:22 CET 2002

I am planning on using netsend/netreceive since they seem to do what I
need them to and they are already part of PD.  OSC would be best in the
long run, but it seems like its a bit beta still.  I plan on using
multiple computers because I want to space the speakers every 75 meters
or so along the 500 m tunnel.  Running audio cables 500 m isn't really
feasible, but ethernet can do 100m cable lengths.  I'll have a hub or
router every 100m.  (FYI: PD does support multiple audio outs).

Also, currently I am not too concerned with latency since its probably
going to be a prerecorded bit played back, rather than a live
performace.  That can come later.  I might choose OS X because I am
getting a bunch of Macs for this project that I might want to use for
other things in the future.  Linux is an option too.  I am not concerned
with the OS really since PD works for me on both platforms.

Has anyone seen anything like this implemented before?  I am mainly
looking for examples of spacialization in such a setup, plus how to
control it all once its setup.

.hc