[PD] ASIO support

Michael Casey mkc at media.mit.edu
Wed Mar 13 15:46:21 CET 2002

Johannes,

> Do you get it to work stable on your vxPocket?

Yes, very stable. No crashes.

> I'm afraid pd-asio is not using the native asio driver, but the
> directsound or mme wrapper. Where can I change this?

In pa_asio.cpp change sDefault[Input/Output]Device to be the index of the
native ASIO driver. PortAudio prints information on all available drivers
when PD starts so just count from 0 to the driver you want PD to use. In
my system, it is 2.

static int sDefaultOutputDeviceID = 0;
static int sDefaultInputDeviceID = 0;

changed to:

static int   sDefaultOutputDeviceID = 2;
static int   sDefaultInputDeviceID = 2;

The other thing to look at is pablio.c, make sure that numFrames is
reasonable. I print these out so I can see what's going on at run-time:

In OpenAudioStream(...){

minNumBuffers = Pa_GetMinNumBuffers( FRAMES_PER_BUFFER, sampleRate );
numFrames = minNumBuffers * FRAMES_PER_BUFFER;
numFrames = RoundUpToNextPowerOf2( numFrames );
printf("\nFramesPerBuffer :%d\n", (int)FRAMES_PER_BUFFER);
printf("minNumBuffers :%d\n", minNumBuffers);
}

These are the main parameters that control ASIO buffering from PortAudio.

Good luck,

Mike

Johannes,