[PD] ASIO support

Johannes Taelman Johannes.Taelman at rug.ac.be
Wed Mar 13 15:15:30 CET 2002

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Michael Casey wrote:
> Johannes,
>
> Perhaps the current output buffer is emptying before PD can fill the next
> buffer, this might be causing the broken sound.

Yes, that'll be the problem. I recorded some output of pd digitally, and I
can confirm endianess is not a problem. My previous remark about stability
was based on the assumption that it was an endianess-problem.

> To fix, try increasing the
> buffer size...

Right, that helps in some cases.

> This parameter will be dependent on the specific sound card. (126) works
> for a digigram VX pocket because that's the buffer granularity. Such low
> latencies work with simple patches, for more computationally intensive
> patches (252 / 256) or (504 / 512) are necessary.

I guess this 126-samples buffer is specific for the vxPocket?

What I notice that on one PC the ASIO direct sound driver warns that
it cannot do full-duplex, and the ASIO multimedia configuration test
dialog pops up, when I start PD.

I'm afraid pd-asio is not using the native asio driver, but the
directsound or mme wrapper. Where can I change this?

Do you get it to work stable on your vxPocket?

thanks,
Johannes