[PD] Many clips in Gem, best way to deal?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Mon Mar 18 09:39:06 CET 2002

mick grierson wrote:
> Hi Ben
>
> I have just done a live performance using similar ideas. i tested the patch
> solid for a couple of days, and the video didn't take up much ram at all,
> pix movie seems to play video back from disk (thats why other pix objects
> dont work with pix_movie data ...i think...;)
no that's false.
pix_movie and pix_film are the very same objects, only pix_movie does
load any images immediately into the texture-memory of the graphics
card. that's why you cannot manipulate the pix-buffer (because they are
save on the gfx-card and not in main-ram any more)

> I reckon it may be the compressor that your using...try a software MJPEG
> compressor (worked for me).

i do not really now.
i noticed similar behaviour under linux. so there is definitey a memory
hole somewhere.
but i did not notice it with all used libraries (i cannot remember right
now which one did not leak: libmpeg1/libmpeg3/libquicktime4linux)

> Also, you could try opening up one huge movie with all your clips in it
> (like a wavetable) and then having messages for each section (start frame
> end frame etc). This way, you wont ever need to change the clip.
might at least be a workaround

>>any pointers would be appriciated... I'm now in the hunt for lmpeg3 can't
>>find it with apt, any quick suggestions?
i thought i had included a hint in the README.build (but obviously i
have forgotten to do so)
for debian systems, have a look at
http://marillat.free.fr/
and follow the instructions to modify your sources.conf
i think, the testing section is still very sparse, so you will either
have to use the stable or the unstable version.

mfg.as.asr
IOhannes