[PD] [announce] py 0.0.1 python script object

Michael Droettboom mdboom at peabody.jhu.edu
Sat Mar 30 14:53:32 CET 2002

I have been using Python directly as the glue language in a DSP
environment for some time now (as well as using Joe's GriPD) and have had
no noticeable timing issues.  I do, however, use Python 2.0 which does not
include a garbage collector, only reference counting, which IMHO is more
predictable.  However, Python is designed such that as long as you don't
do anything wacky with "pointers" such as cyclical structures, the garbage
collector should never even kick in for a noticeable amount of time.

In general, I think it's more useful to try these kinds of things IN
CONTEXT before worrying about their apparent limitations, because of
the advantages of moving to such a flexible system can be pretty great.

--
Michael Droettboom
mdboom at peabody.jhu.edu
410.625.7596