[PD] parallelism in pd

Andrew (Andy) W. Schmeder andy at e-molecule.com
Wed Apr 17 00:32:09 CEST 2002

On Tue, 2002-04-16 at 10:24, Miller Puckette wrote:
> I concur, with a slight spin: Pd is often memory-bound, and most
> dual-processor systems, especially Intel based ones but also AMD,
> have their speed limited by memory bandwidth (which is shared between
> processors.)

In the interesting of maintaining rigor, I'd like to know if there is
any hard data to back up this claim.. i.e. profiling which demonstrates
the memory bandwidth versus CPU restrictions, etc on one or more
systems.

(To be fair I suppose this means that we need a standard regression
test/benchmark for a real-time audio system, PDSpec?)

The reason I ask is that I'm interested in massively multichannel
systems.

Also I am curious as to why Intel would have less memory bandwitdth...
intution suggests it would depend on the type of system memory used...
rambus versus SDRAM, etc?

-andy