[PD] pd-gui wishlist

Joschi joschi at eds.org
Tue Apr 23 22:41:47 CEST 2002

On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 13:16, joge . wrote:

> i am not die hard java by any means .  its just the language that i have
> alot of experince with and though i would through it you there to the group
> for discussion .  i am new to pd so i dont know to much about its base code
> structure .  so i was curious if it was even possible to attempted a gui in
> java .

I* understand, I love Java myself, and it took me a long time to settle
into the idea that the future of pd IS in tcl/tk ... which as a language
on its own holds no candle to Java, but works great within the needs of
PD.  In learning it, i've come to even (gasp) like it some :)

> as for jmax , i tried to use it for a while but it is still well in it
> infance it appeared to me .  i guess mostly in the sense that there is not
> to much of a use group as far as i am aware .  i am subcribed to the jmax
> list and the activite is mostly about the software development and
> compilation of jMax .

yeah, I am keeping the corner of my eye on jmax, but the pd community is
just bar none.

> thanks for the info though , i didnt mean to sound like java is the way to
> do every thing and that tcl/tk is evil . hehe ..    with this information i
> think i will looked further into tcl\tk .  is there a particularly good
> resource any one can recommend ?

I found this (ammusingly titled) tutorial to be quick and good, if you
are comfotable enough in other programming/scripting languages:

"Tcl for Web Nerds"

http://www.arsdigita.com/books/tcl/index

and of course, the most appropriate domain name EVER http://tcl.tk has
lots of good links.