[PD] readsf~: Hit or miss...

David Sabine dave at davesabine.com
Mon May 6 11:05:45 CEST 2002

Hello,

I'm attempting to play two wav files simoultaneously using two readsf~ objects.  The wav files are 'syncronized' rhythmically which requires that they start at exactly the same time.  (I can't use a single stereo file for a bunch of reasons - although I know that the problem that I mention herein would be completely avoided).  Anyways, as I was saying...

I've hooked a BANG to the "open" messages of the two readsf~ objects.  Then I send a message simoultaneously to the readsf~'s to start the files at the same time and have them play 'side-by-side' so to speak.

THE PROBLEM:
The readsf~'s seem inconsistent...2 out 3 times (approx.) one of the files won't load properly and PD throws a "bad header" error, but I'm certain that the header of the wav files are just fine because when I try the same process again, it works -- or like the first try it doesn't work.  But eventually it'll work! perhaps on the 3rd, 4th, or...you get the picture.  Or if I 'open' and then start each file separately, they work.

Has anybody else experienced a similar problem?  Anybody know why this might happen? and how to avoid it?

Thanks.
Dave Sabine