[PD] (newbie) troubles and questions: monorhythm, iemlib, pdstartup etc

Ivan Franco ivan.franco at ydreams.com
Wed Jun 5 23:29:19 CEST 2002

Hi!

booey chewy wrote:

>I spent a good deal of time last night messing with
>stuff and have some questions, I'll go basic to less
>so.
>
>with messages, how am I supposed to enter them? Say I
>want to create a start up batch file. ALl the lit says
>I ought to write "-path c:\pd\bin\pd" or alternatively
>"c:\pd\bin\pd -nomidiin -path" or something. (ps that
>is how my path looks). Now my program is not having
>any of that. It functions only when I write
>"c:\pd\bin\pd" Fine, so I can write a simple .bat I am
>just curious what the proper method of message
>entering is. When i write -path.... or -lib.... I get
>the message "-lib no such object"

You should create a bat file with something similar to this:
bin\pd.exe -lib gripd-0.0.11\gripd\gripd

in the first line you startup pd by giving the path to pd.exe relative
to the location of your own bat file (in my case the bat file is right
under pd directory, so I must go down to the bin directory and then
start pd from there).
Relative to the libraries it's a similar proceeding. the -lib flag tells pd
the next thing you'll point to is a library (dll assuming your using
windows).
So my gripd.dll is under the path gripd-0.0.11\gripd\ (again relative
to the bat file). This is what you should do with every library or other
flag pointing to files.

>next, I am having similar problems installing iemlib.
>I need to add the commands
>(c:\pd\iemlib\lib\iemgui...) to my startup .bat and I
>can't get it to recognize them. I think this is due to
>my ignorance about commands. Either is goes through
>lots and lots of lines and then quits, gives me a
>win32 error and shuts down, or says no such object. I
>have seen the files on how to make a start up for
>windows.I also have copied all the right stuff and
>whatnot that the iemlib readme says to
>
>3rd monorhythm, I assume this object (in mjlib i
>think) just sets up a series of clocks for controlling
>sequencers for polyrhythms. How do I connect these
>with sequencers (say the analogue sequencer in the
>doc.reference audio examples). I guess this is more of
>a question as to how loadbang works, how to build and
>connect sequencers to oscillators.

As to monorythm I don't really know because I'm not familiar with the
object.
I suppose the sequencer just sets determined messages to be sent at a
specific
clock time.
Loadbang is an object that sends a bang whenever you load your patch.
(bang triggers any kind of action - I suppose you got that...)

>Is there any docs that deal with this stuff?
>Connection sequencers, loadbang, basics etc? Beyond
>the manual, the tutorial on pure-data.org, and
>whatnot.

You could check the Max/MSP documentation found at Cycling74.com
Max is a similar programming environment. For a start it can be of help...

Cheers
Ivan