[PD] sequencing?

IOhannes zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Jun 6 20:42:20 CEST 2002

Andre Schmidt wrote:
> hi,
>

> sorry that i have so many questions but my first audio project is
> evolving so fast that my PD knowledge can't keep up :)
>

> so, whats the best way to make a sequencer ?
>
> (attachment[26kb] is a snapshot of my sequencer GUI...
> slider,toggle,number,dial)[it runs from left to right]
>

> is PDs table(S!) "fast" enough or is there an good external ?

normally they are just fast and fine and everything

> a counter plays from 1 to 32 and "reads" the tableA1, if tableA1[xy]=1
> then tableA2 is sending his value to xgroove as [pos]...
>
> the question could be: which is faster (for performance)?
> ---------------

what hardware are you using ??

i remember the old days, when i did a simple sampler with automatic
pitch-shifting (so samples would be "in tune") et bla bla with, say, 20
arrays (tabread4~ which is way more expensive than tabread can ever be
(well, i know you could prove me wrong, but this is just braindead) on a
pentium-100.
the only problem then was this [fiddle~] thing for analysis that neally
rendered the patch unusable on that hardware. but NO problem with tables
at all !
[fiddle~] now uses near to nothing, do you think the tables have
suddenly become hungry ???

do it as you like/can and if the patch turns eat up all the resources (i
have used patches with 95%-cpuload on public installations without
problems, though i wouldn't recommend this on windos) then(!) think
about optimizing.
believe me, your tables (or whatever) will not be the problem.

mfg.fsda.dr
IOhannes