[PD] jack

CK x at meta.lo-res.org
Thu Jul 25 16:55:16 CEST 2002

I read:
> Miller Puckette wrote:
> > It would have to open a separate thread to respond to the jack calls,
> > and maintain FIFOs to synchronize between them.

which brings me to another question, what do people on the list think
about multithreaded externals and shouldn't we agree now on how to
implement them.
AFAICT from my somewhat limited pthread knowledge each and every extern
author using threads should at least prefix mutex/conditional names
with externalname_ otherwise we might well deadlock ourselves sooner
than later .. any other thoughts/recommendations on this ?

(I could use threading in some of my [planned] externs, but won't jump
in before the issue is somewhat clear, I know miller doesn't exactly
like threads and I'm somewhat reluctant to release code that might break
someone elses setup ...)

regards,

chris at lo-res.org	Postmodernism is german romanticism with better
http://pilot.fm/	special effects. (Jeff Keuss / via ctheory.com)