threads, Was: Re: [PD] jack

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Thu Jul 25 17:55:11 CEST 2002

CK schrieb:

> I read:
> > Miller Puckette wrote:
> > > It would have to open a separate thread to respond to the jack calls,
> > > and maintain FIFOs to synchronize between them.
>
> which brings me to another question, what do people on the list think
> about multithreaded externals and shouldn't we agree now on how to
> implement them.
> AFAICT from my somewhat limited pthread knowledge each and every extern
> author using threads should at least prefix mutex/conditional names
> with externalname_ otherwise we might well deadlock ourselves sooner
> than later .. any other thoughts/recommendations on this ?

Well, there already are two threaded objects in the standard Pd distribution:
readsf~ and writesf~. I've successfully used the same 'principles' in my
oggamp~ and oggcast~ externals and can run all of them togehter (or several
instances of the same object) in one patch without any difficulties.
Maybe I just missed the point but I personally don't see any problems why
threaded externals should interfere (as long as the mutex/conditional
variables are declared as 'static'). But I also have to admit that I'm no
thread-expert.... (not even a C expert, just trying until it works)

Olaf