[PD] PD for Linux - Select Problems

Carlo E. Prelz fluido at fluido.as
Fri Aug 30 11:33:22 CEST 2002

	Subject: [PD] PD for Linux - Select Problems
	Date: gio, ago 29, 2002 at 05:04:59 -0400

Quoting JaReK (myszewsk at cse.Buffalo.EDU):

> However, I have a problem with the 'select' statements.
>
> Select works fine with one parameter (select 1)
> However, it does not work with multiple params (select 1 2 3).
> Specifically, it will send out bang to first outlet (on the
> bottom left)
> if the input matches the first condition (for example 1), for all other
> inputs I get the following output in the right bottom outlet - 'nan'

--8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<--

<mathematics> (NaN) An IEEE floating point representation for the
result of a numerical operation which cannot return a valid number
value. A NaN can result from multiplying an infinity by a zero, or
from subtracting one infinity from another

--8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<----8<--

What do you feed to select's input? Did you try it with the output of
a standard number box (the one you obtain with Ctrl-3)? The simple
patch that I include works as expected here.

> I also get seg-fault and error:
>  socket receive error: Connection reset by peer (104)
>  when trying to open 'Test audio and MIDI'

This can depend from a lot of things, mainly from what is your sound
card, whether you have ALSA or not, and the correct compilation and
start-up options of PD. Can you use your audio card under Linux for
other tasks? With what kind of software?

Carlo

* K * Carlo E. Prelz - fluido at fluido.as             che bisogno ci sarebbe