[PD] Max/MSP vs. Pd [was: shadow patch bug]

i7o iko at prac.net
Mon Oct 7 00:48:15 CEST 2002

Hi,

I think,..most important things missing in PD to get a wider user base
eg: max
- more example patches
- more docs
- more gui objects
- easier way of making subpatches (dont know pd well enuf,..:)
- more fully working crossplatform video, etc objects

The most important thing  PD already has, compared to max, is an os x,
and linux and win and irix version. And some more direct ways of doing
things, in certain cases.

I once tried to customize the pd gui, in tcl/tk, i am not much of a
programmer,..so it's not that easy to find your way,
maybe if there was more documentation on where things are set etc, it
would help people like me getting a patch to look more the way u want.

I am not complaining,..and thank you all for having done so much work,
and to have this open source alternative.
(not sure if t can be called alternative as mr Miller is the original:)

These are just the points, pd would need to score to get a wider user
base, if that's the goal,..for now,..yet ?:)

I think,..maybe there could be a list where developers meet non
developers, and ask directly for each others help ?
As the dev list seems to me to advanced for non coders,...maybe this is
that list?
Of course in an ideal world non coders will become coders,..over
time,..that time can take several years,..so meanwhile let's help each
other.
I think with some help non coders can do a lot of work,..like
betatesting, making example patches, writing docs etc.
Also sites that group all relevant info to specific platforms like
adam's os x page are very helpfull.

OK,..tazwazit i hope i dont sound to patronising, just thinking out
loud :)

obrigado