[PD] Max/MSP vs. Pd [was: shadow patch bug]

Frank Barknecht barknech at ph-cip.uni-koeln.de
Mon Oct 7 10:12:02 CEST 2002

Hi,
here comes another reply...
Thomas Grill hat gesagt: // Thomas Grill wrote:

> Most max users that i know don't want to waste their time with a
> long learning phase. They are musicians, not programmers.  Max is
> delivered with a large number of working examples to be modified for
> one's perform patches.

This point is actually not a problem of Pd, but one of its user base
i.e. it's our problem. Dave Sabine did some terrific work on his PDDP
project, but those aren't example patches ready to use. As Pd has no
company behind it, this is a job for the community.

With graph-on-parent this job is actually now much easier, like the nice
feedback for my simple "angriff" drummer showed. With GOP, instruments
are possible, that are directly usable, like Reactor ensembles,
without any knowledge of the inner workings of a patch.

So I encourage anyone to publish their patches. If someone doesn't
have any webspace, maybe even this list is an appropriate place to
post patches, that are not too big in size.

Pd is best learned by clear, useable examples.

ciao