[PD] Gem "model" object

Johannes Taelman Johannes.Taelman at rug.ac.be
Mon Nov 18 20:45:20 CET 2002

Citeren IOhannes zmoelnig <zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at>:

> i think i will incorporate a quake-model loader (the source code is
> already on my hd, i only have to have some times)

That would be really cool!

A completely different path would be to exchange messages with a 'standalone'
game engine. The best thing I came across on the net is "The Nebula Device"
(http://www.radonlabs.de/). It's open source, cross-platform, cross-3d api
(direct3d 7,8 and opengl), and already has a shell interface that might be
suitable to 'pump' pd messages into.
This is would provide a feature-rich (collision detection, t&l, 3dmax
integration, milkshape integration, ...) 3d environment to PD, more suitable
for VR-like apps, but less flexible than GEM.

I haven't looked beyond the tech demos yet, and it is not on top of my list of
priorities. Comments on the pro/contra welcome. Can similar things allready be
made with other feature-rich 3D apps (more or less integrated with PD)?

Johannes