[PD] 3D path plotting

IOhannes zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Mon Dec 9 16:51:37 CET 2002

hi !

david moss wrote:
> Hi list members, I am starting out with programming
> some stuff in GEM. I want to have a bang trigger a 3d
> path for an object. I have played around with the
> spline_path examples as provided but it seems quite
> laborious to create tables for paths. I am having
> trouble getting my head around how a table with
> figures like "0. -1. 0.5" relates to 3D positioning,
> can anyone offer some ideas?

the tricky thing with the *_path objects is the way they store data:
the table should have values like
x1 y1 z1 x2 y2 z2 x3 y3 z3 ...
i really have to admit, that this is ok for storing and recalling data,
but not for intuitively "draw" 3D-paths
maybe i will add a feature for reading the data out of separate tables

> I have seen mentioned in the pd documentation canvases
> and tables with drawing functions. I guess it maybe
> possible to create a table which is editable via the
> canvas to set a 3d path? Anyone done this already (so
> I dont reinvent the wheel!!) and if not anyone got
> some ideas of how I can set this up in a pd patch???

well, just use 3 tables (one for X, one for Y, one for Z)
draw lines in them
read them out with [tabread(4)] and you have 3 independant parameters
(x,y,z)

mfg.ads.r
IOhannes