[PD] GRIPD won't run.

Joseph A. Sarlo jsarlo at ucsd.edu
Sat Feb 15 20:19:58 CET 2003

Is it possible that your setup has the gripd python script (the file gripd
or gripd.py in older versions)owned by root or has setuid bit set for gripd?
The gripd pd object tries to drop setuid root privileges before running the
python script by setting the effective user id to the actual userid (line
587 of gripd.c). On my setup, I have the setuid bit set for the PD
executable, and it is owned by root. The gripd python script  is owned by
the non-root user that starts PD, and does _not_ have the setuid bit set.

Joe
jsarlo at ucsd.edu