[PD] best practice

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Mar 27 12:46:29 CET 2003

Hallo,
Chris McCormick hat gesagt: // Chris McCormick wrote:

> I'd like your opinions on the best way to store a single value in a
> GOP patch. For example, I have a GOP patch which has a slider in it.
> I instansiate this patch in a higher level patch and whenever I load
> the patch the slider is reset. Let's say my slider has a name of
> (for example) $1-slider. So when i instantsiate it i do it like this
> [gop-patch myname] and then if i want to set the slider position i
> can do [s myname-slider]. What I am trying to figure out is how I
> can make a list of slider-names (such as "myname-slider") and have
> their values stored and recalled each time i load the patch up. It
> feels to me like this should be easy, but I can't think of the clean
> way to do it. Any ideas are appreciated.  This is for a series of
> patches for stored-automation and sequencing I am building.

I store inside a table and recently I'm playing with storing in a
textfile object, which is more flexible.

See my sseq patches for an example of gop-sequencers using the table
approach on footils.org and in the pure-data.sf.net-CVS, directory
"abstractions"

For a possible textfile approach see Millers example patches in
doc/7.stuff/synth/. Miller's one is not fully localized (with $0) but
depends on global send/receives. I tried to fix this once and do a
more general saver/loader patch (a bit like the "Memento" design pattern
in Gamma e.a.) but it is not finished yet.

ciao