[PD] Internet collaboration [WAS: cd-rom pd-system]

Nick Morrison nickm at internode.com.au
Sun Apr 6 08:01:37 CEST 2003

Hello,

On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 02:14:56PM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner said:

> I know Knoppix has a lot of audio software in it and does a good job of
> finding devices.  I am pretty sure that someone made a pd version of it.
> If one doesn't already exist, I'd like to help make one.  I have a
> fantasy of doing office-based sound installations.  Stick a CD in every
> computer on an office floor.  The CD would then automatically load a
> patch and starts playing...

Along that vein, is there a method for sending/receiving arbitrary values
and/or module layout and/or audio streams, etc, via a TCP or UDP
connection?

A friend and I have a dream;  we live a thousand kilometres apart, but
would love to be able to collaborate in real time on a music work.  PD
seems perfect for our needs (different operating systems, for a start).

I don't imagine it would be particularly complicated to write a method to
do such a thing - and so has it been done?  Perhaps making use of graphics
net-render features?

Nick

--
Nick Morrison : <nickm at internode.com.au>
Internode : http://www.on.net/

# find / -user your -name base -exec chown us {} \;