[PD] dac~'s signal too loud?

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Mon Apr 28 16:38:57 CEST 2003

Nick,

i've seen this problem when an incorrect audiobuf or blocksize is used
as a starting argument. it sounds like clipping distortion, but it
isn't. for example, i have my PD startup arguments optimized for using
an external soundcard [far beyond the capabilities of my built-in i8X0]
and with the Jack server. so, if i try to run it with the same settings
on the built-in soundcard and no Jack, my testtone sounds like a
strangled scream. try different audiobuf settings, blocksizes and maybe
tweak a few other things [match sampling rate of PD to sampling rate of
soundcard, etc etc.]. typing
pd --help
will give you the list of all startup arguments. when you get ones that
work for you, make a .pdrc file of them and put it in your home
directory. mine looks like this:

-blocksize 512
-channels 8
-path /usr/lib/pd/iemabs
-lib Gem
-lib zexy
-lib iemlib1
-lib iemlib2
-lib iem_mp3
-lib iem_t3_lib
-lib OSC

but you will want bigger blocksize and fewer channels, plus links to
whatever externals you have.
best,
Derek