[PD] PhaseVocoder

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Apr 30 15:07:05 CEST 2003

You don't need to change the FFT window size to change the pitch or
duration with a phase vocoder.  The FFT window size only directly controls
the analysis of the sound, not the sound generation (but the FFT window
size does affect the sound quality).  In other words, the pitch shifting
is independent of the FFT window size in a phase vocoder.

I would be very surprised if you
couldn't make a pitch shifting phase vocoder in Max/MSP, whether or not
you can change the FFT window size, but I know offhand.

.hc