[PD] pd, asio, & kx audio driver

Søren Bovbjerg sb at cvmt.dk
Sat Aug 9 10:54:32 CEST 2003

Hi

I have been using the kX ASIO driver with PD occasionally and it works
great (version 0.35 and 0.36). With the latest kX version it can even do
ASIO in 44.1 kHz even though it is a 48kHz card (44.1 kHz output only
though). If I issue a listdev kX ASIO is listed as #4 but I have to
specify it as -audiodev 3 when starting PD.

The great thing about the kX driver is the DSP window. You can create up
to 16 outputs (and inputs) which all appear in the virtual patchbay
where you can connect them to physical I/Os. Here you can also add
hardware DSP effects which are MIDI controlable and even feed the signal
back into PD (ok, I am a little biased since I wrote some of the filter
plugins for the kX drivers).

I would recommend that PD is set to run at 48kHz with kX ASIO (it has to
if you want inputs).

Startup examples:
pd -asio -audiodev 3 -r 44100 -noadc -outchannels 8
pd -asio -audiodev 3 -r 48000 -channels 8

It is important that the kX ASIO sample rate matches the one you
specify. Just right click on the kX icon in the systray and enter the
settings sub menu. Here you will find the ASIO settings.

Cheers
Soeren