[PD] howto gain finer resolutions of message/audio interaction?

errorsmith me at errorsmith.de
Sun Aug 10 19:41:11 CEST 2003

Hello,
I am a pd newbie. I just read the manual with great interest. I worked much
with reaktor so I am very interested in the differences between pd and
reaktor.
One difference is the time accuracy of the message processing. In reaktor
messages (called events) have a time resolution of one sample instead of 64
in pd.

I read in the manual under 2.4.4: "You may wish to use block sizes smaller
than 64 to gain finer resolutions of message/audio interaction, .. "

I tried that without success. I started from the the following audio
example: "73.control.blocksize.pd". I added a metro object in the subpatch
where the blocksize is reduced to one sample (block~ 1). The output of the
metro is triggering an envelope with a short spike. Unlike the delaytime of
the feedback delay in the example patch the time gap between two spikes
cannot be set below 64 samples. I attached the file. I am using pd 0.36-0
under winxp.
Maybe I am doing something wrong? Maybe there is an other solution to that.

thank you and regards,

erik