[PD] FreeBSD 4.8, pd 0.35 - and distortion

pix pix at test.at
Thu Aug 14 18:14:29 CEST 2003

a possible problem:

some audio cards under linux (and likely under most unixen), have crappier
audio drivers than their windows counterparts. i know because the card in
my laptop (the maestro m3) loads a quick-and-dirty sample rate converter
into the dsp chip on the card, as opposed to the all-singing-all-dancing
version that is included in the windows driver. the upshot of this is that
the normal pre-filtering that happens when doing sample rate conversion
doesn't happen, and so frequencies that some frequencies higher than 50%
volume will distort. on this particular card you can just output at 48k to
avoid having to use the samplerate converter.

err, but this probably isn't your problem because the value you have found
is suspiciously close to 1/256. making me thing that it's some kind of
signed/unsigned value problem in the way that pd is talking to your sound
card. your best bet is to say what kind of sound card you have, and
whether you are using alsa, oss, or whatever.

try using jack too.

report on your success, and it might inspire a response.

pix.