[PD] dir access

David Sabine dave at davesabine.com
Wed Aug 20 12:35:29 CEST 2003

Hello all,

I posted a similar questions months ago...the response from the developers
seemed to be this:

1.  it's easy on linux/PD (something about shell commands)
2.  it's impossible on win/PD

Actually, it's not impossible, but somebody mentioned that performing this
operation on Windows, being that the file system is handled so differently
in each OS, would lead to spaghetti code that might eventually become very
difficult to handle in PD.

Having said that, I think it would be a very powerful tool and would like to
see some development in this area.

I work a lot in ASP (for 'web' stuff) and make frequent use of the
"Scripting.FileSystemObject" in Visual Basic to return collections of
folders, files, etc.  Using this object one can also move, delete, rename
and copy files on the fly.  I don't know how this functionality could be
provided within PD, because my knowledge of 'C' is so limited...but it sure
would be handy!

To make this issue even more complex: the .NET framework now provides an API
to zip/compress, send mail, edit and resize images, and even return MP3 file
attributes (like name, composer, album, year released, bit rate, etc).  I
wonder if PD will even incorporate some of these tools?

Regards,
Dave Sabine