[PD] throw/catch vs send/recieve

matthew jones M.Jones at signal.qinetiq.com
Wed Aug 20 15:50:49 CEST 2003

the way I see it is that send and receive are just ways of cross connecting
signals/variables across your patch or abstraction without having to connect
them up with 'messy' patch cords or inlets and outlets.  you can have as
many send and receive objects as you want if they are non-signal type.  if
they are signal type, then think about it: if you have two [send~ sig1]
objects with two different signals connected to each inlet, then what will
the [receive~ sig1] object see?  so you can only have one signal-type
[send~] object with any one name.

however, throw and catch work a bit differently.  here, you CAN have two
[throw~] objects with the same name, and the associated [catch~] object SUMS
up the two different 'thrown' signals.

locality is defined by giving the send, receive, throw, catch objects
different names.  the $0 symbols you see are a way of restricting the
locality: if you have mutliple copies of an abstraction with sends and
receives and you don't want them interacting, you put $0 at the beginning of
the name so they won't interact and become local to their respective
abstractions. PD replaces (even though you don't see it) each with a
specific name to each abstraction.

$1 and $2 etc are used to manually change the names via creation arguments,
so $1 corresponds to the first creation argument of the patch.
if I got anything wrong, please let me know....!

matt

http://www.loopit.org/