[PD] throw/catch vs send/recieve

derek at x-i.net derek at x-i.net
Wed Aug 20 16:02:03 CEST 2003

atte,

catch~ sums the inputs from many instances of a throw~ object, while send~ and
receive~ do the opposite: one send~ can go to many instances of the same
receive~ object. it is an error to have two sends of the same name.

in short:
many throws, one catch
one send, many receives

of course, send and receive [without the ~] are for data, not audio, and if you
tried to send many different messages through it at the same time, you would
have to pack them. a throw/catch for a non-audio signal does not exist in PD.

does this help?
derek